Monday, August 29, 2011

WESTWARD HO!

Stay in this business long enough and you'll learn at least one truth: the wine and spirits' industry is a very small world. This truth was again brought home to me earlier this year. Anyone who knows me knows that I am passionate about American whiskey...especially Bourbons and Ryes. When it comes to Rye whiskey, there are none finer than those crafted at High West Distillery in Park City, Utah. Every time I've had the pleasure of sampling a High West whiskey I'm left thinking, "Man, this stuff is good!"

High West distillery is the brainchild of David Perkins, a biochemist turned craft distiller. As it turns out, David and I have know each other for almost 30 years. We both grew up in Georgia, and both have a mutual friend in Steve Morrison. Steve and David went to high school together, and Steve occasionally brought Dave to some of parties we threw in college. While I hadn't seen David in years, I did hear through Steve that he had bought some of my wine, and had started a distillery. Of course, when I found out what distillery it was David started, I immediately picked up the phone. So it was that when I called David to see if he had an interest selling his distillates in Minnesota it wasn't entirely a 'cold call'.

David's talent as a distiller and blender is well-known within the industry. As a matter of fact, Malt Advocate Magazine bestowed him with its Innovator of the Year Award. In the South we call that Tall Cotton.

We are proud to be the source for High West products in the State of Minnesota. Here's a list of what has just arrived:
If you share my passion for domestic whiskies, you owe it to yourself to secure some of these items soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment