Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Iowa. REAL Iowa.

I am predicting that one of the newest additions to the Arts & Crafts portfolio will also be one of the most-talked about at tomorrow's trade tasting*: Cedar Ridge Distillery of Swisher, Iowa.

I discovered Cedar Ridge back in July...after a protracted search for an real Iowa craft distiller. I say 'real' because a lot of buzz has been generated by a company that markets an Iowa rye whiskey. Well, I know for a fact that this "Iowa Rye Whiskey" is actually made in Lawrenceberg, Indiana. Not a week would go by without a retailer or barkeep asking me if I could get said Rye. "Why do you want it?" I'd ask, with the typical response being, "I want to support a local whiskey distiller", to which I'd respond, "So, you think southern Indiana is 'local'?"

Once I explained the charade being perpetrated by this unnamed whiskey peddler, the buyers would shrug and say, "Let me know when you get a real Iowa distiller."

Well, folks, Cedar Ridge is as real as it gets. A working vineyard and distillery, crafting spirits from Iowa grapes and grain in Iowa. And, let me tell you, what they're crafting is really good. While I went to them looking for whiskey, I left with not only their their Iowa Bourbon, but vodka, gin, rum and brandy, too. You owe it to yourself to try them all.

And, just in time for the holidays, the folks at Cedar Ridge have introduced an "Age Your Own Whiskey" kit. This kit contains a 750ml of their 100-proof Unaged Whiskey, a 1-liter charred white oak aging barrel complete with instructions on how to age the whiskey to perfection.

Join me in saying 'hello' to our neighbors to the south. I am sure Cedar Ridge will find a home in many of Minnesota's leading establishments soon.

I hope one of them is yours!

*
And, if you're not aware of tomorrow's trade tasting, you must be living under a rock. Thursday, October 6th, 3pm until 8pm at the Quality warehouse at
7900 Chicago Avenue South, Bloomington. The tasting is open to all members of the Minnesota beverage trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment